phat code If brute force doesn't solve your problems, then you aren't using enough.
Main

Projects

Downloads

Articles

Links

Forum

View Message

Back to Messages
subxero Sat Feb 23 2008 at 3:52 pm
I finally reformatted my computer

so I can take advantage of two SATA 400 GB disks I've had for like, four months. So after I got Windows to finally say, "holy crap, hard disks!" I realize that Windows screwed up the boot loader, and decided to copy NTLDR, boot.ini, and NTDETECT.COM to a totally different drive. Not only on a different drive, but in some obscure folder.

Regardless, got it working eventually (thanks, Linux) and set everything up nice, then Ghosted the partition to a DVD. Screw messing with that crap again.

I'm using Windows XP SP2 and I realized later, when I was trying to set up RAID 1 (mirroring) between two of my disks, that Windows XP (even the "Professional" edition) doesn't god-damn support mirroring. So I modified some core system files (dmboot.sys, dmconfig.dll, dmadmin.exe) and now Windows thinks, "Hey, I'm a server operating system now." Great, that's one change I regret not making before I Ghosted the partition. So every time I restore the image from the DVD, I'll have to repeat the process -- that's where the Linux live CD comes in again. Linux keeps getting me out of weird situations with Windows. And out of a weird situation with FreeBSD after FreeBSD decided to totally hose one of my hard drives (thanks, FreeNAS. Ugh.)

And holy crap, Windows XP doesn't support Intel Xeons -- I'm planning on buying two quad-core Intel Xeons (because I can) but XP won't see all of the cores, because it's intentionally crippled. It also won't see the 4 GB of RAM I plan on buying, because it's intentionally crippled not to support PAE. PAE has been around since the mid-freaking-nineties; why the hell doesn't a modern operating system support it? Even Vista's PAE support is completely missing, and that operating system almost requires 4 GB of RAM. Holy hell.

So after all of this, I realize that I should have just installed Windows Server 2003.

Thanks, Microsoft. Dammit.

Reply to this Message

Name
Subject
No HTML is allowed, except for <code> <b> <i> <u> in the message only.
All URLs and email addresses will automatically be converted to hyperlinks.